It's that time of year again. Lights sparkle along the neighborhood rooftops, familiar carols play in every store, and people host parties for the sole purpose of wearing ugly sweaters. If everyone and everything is getting in the holiday spirit, then it's time to spruce up your newsfeed, too. These inspirational Christmas Facebook captions will spread joy to your friends and followers. Because if anything needs a little holiday cheer and positivity right now, it's Facebook's newsfeed. Man, that place can be brutal.
Thankfully, these uplifting quotes from movies, books, songs, and poems make the perfect holiday Facebook posts. They take the focus off shopping, awkward family get-togethers, and the general holiday stress. To be completely cliché, these quotes are all about the real meaning of Christmas, the spirit of helping others, and honoring loved ones. And to paraphrase another carol, plenty of people need a little Christmas this year. Personally, I need all the festive spirit I can get.
So to keep the holiday spirit reaching far and wide, share a little inspiration with your Facebook friends. It just may remind them to adopt a more charitable attitude this holiday season. That, or they'll remember they haven't watched The Muppet Christmas Carol in a few years and spend an evening enjoying that film. Both are worthy endeavors.
1. "I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year." — Charles Dickens, 'A Christmas Carol'
Would it even be Christmas without a few words from Charles Dickens's ? The story of Scrooge's redemption in time for the holiday season is a total classic. The warm ending can melt even the coldest of hearts, because it's such a perfect story.
2. "There'll be much mistletoe-ing and hearts will be glowing when loved ones are near." — "It's The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year"
If gathering with friends and family gives you warm, fuzzy feelings, then this is the perfect quote to post. Most anyone would agree that the socializing is the best part of the holiday, however you feel about making a verb out of mistletoe.
3. "I believe in myself." — "Santa"
Good job, Santa. Keep those positive affirmations going. Seriously, though, believing in yourself is important all year round.
4. "Make my wish come true. All I want for Christmas is you." — Mariah Carey
OK, this song is still the biggest Christmas bop of all time. Even if you aren't super into Christmas carols, you probably know this song by heart. And you probably dance a little whenever it comes on, because it's so dang catchy. But the sentiment behind it is pretty sweet, because she just wants to be with the person she loves more than anything else. Awww.
5. "The best way to spread Christmas cheer is singing loud for all to hear." — Buddy, 'Elf'
For a movie with so many iconically silly scenes, Elf also has a lot of heart. Why not spend some time this holiday season singing loudly and spreading cheer?
6. "Soon the bells will start, and the thing that will make them ring is the carol that you sing right within your heart." — "It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas"
Sure, you've heard all the old Christmas carols about a zillion times over, but some of them have legitimately inspirational lyrics. Even "It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas" brings the focus back to those wholesome holiday feelings that make your heart tingle this time each year.
7. "Christmas is doing a little something extra for someone." — Charles M. Schulz
The creator of the Peanuts comic had it right in this quote. Even little gestures of kindness can mean a lot to someone else.
8. "Blessed is the season which engages the whole world in a conspiracy of love!" — Hamilton Wright Mabie
Isn't this a lovely thought? Plus, I'm obsessed with the phrase "conspiracy of love." I'm probably going to include that in all my Christmas cards this year.
9. "Merry Christmas, movie house! Merry Christmas, Emporium! Merry Christmas, you wonderful old Building and Loan!" — George Bailey, 'It's A Wonderful Life'
Few actors convey pure joy as well as James Stewart, who played George Bailey in the Christmas movie classic It's A Wonderful Life. His overwhelming joy at the simplest things is contagious. Doesn't it make you want to run around your own town, spreading holiday wishes to bank buildings and movie theaters?
10. "It's Christmas Eve. It's the one night of the year when we all act a little nicer, we smile a little easier, we cheer a little more. For a couple of hours out of the whole year we are the people that we always hoped we would be." — Frank Cross, 'Scrooged'
I will never stop quoting Bill Murray movies and this one really highlights how happy people find themselves on Christmas Eve. Actually, it would be so awesome if everyone would adopt the spirit of Christmas year round. Let's make that happen, people.
Check out Romper's new video series, Romper's Doula Diaries:
Watch full episodes of Romper's Doula Diaries on Facebook Watch.