Every year towards the end of May, Americans remembers the members of the U.S. military who died while serving their country. Though the day caps a long weekend — and is often celebrated with beach days, barbecues, and time with your loved ones — it's important to remember the real reason the day exists. There are some Memorial Day quotes to share with those who served that can remind you of the holiday's meaning and be used to teach others about the day all at the same time.
If you have family members or friends who have served or are currently serving, the day is likely to be a more somber one. But sharing quotes that capture the true spirit of the holiday shows them that you appreciate and are thankful for all of the sacrifices they and those they served alongside made in order to fight for and defend their country. Although the the day is different than Veterans' Day in the sense that its purpose is to acknowledge and remember those who have died and not living veterans, the veterans in your life will appreciate these quotes. But, more so, they're appreciate all of your thoughts and thanks.
1. "A man's country is not a certain area of land, of mountains, rivers, and woods, but it is a principle and patriotism is loyal to that principle." - George William Curtis
2. "America is hope. It is compassion. It is excellence. It is valor." - Paul Tsongas
3. "There is nothing nobler than risking your life for your country." - Nick Lampson
4. "Ask not what your country can do for you — ask what you can do for your country." - John F. Kennedy
5. "It doesn't take a hero to order men into battle. It takes a hero to be one of those men who goes into battle." - Norman Schwarzkopf
6. "A hero is someone who has given his or her life to something bigger than oneself." - Joseph Campbell
7. "The brave die never, though they sleep in dust, their courage nerves a thousand living men." - Minot J. Savage
8. "The legacy of heroes is the memory of a great name and the inheritance of a great example." - Benjamin Disraeli
9. "Courage is contagious. When a brave man takes a stand, the spines of others are stiffened." - Billy Graham
10. "The willingness of America's veterans to sacrifice for our country has earned them our lasting gratitude." - Jeff Miller
11. "I only regret that I have but one life to lose for my country." - Nathan Hale