16 Sibling Quotes For National Sibling Day, Because You Kinda Love 'Em
I've often said that my sister, brothers, and I are siblings by the grace of this universe (and our pretty awesome parents), but we are friends because we choose to be. Because while being the oldest of four has been one of my favorite journeys thus far, that's not to say it doesn't come with its ups and downs, and a hell of a lot of work. But if you're like me and looking to give your brothers and sisters a shout out today, then you need a list of sibling quotes for National Sibling Day on April 10.
And like I said, no matter how much you feel "je t'adore" about your siblings, it's cool to be real about the effort that goes in to keeping your bond strong. After all, my sister Amanda loves with her whole being and also fights the same way — she's all in. It's frustrating to the max, but it's also the thing that will keep you loving her until the end of time. Despite our 9-year age difference, my brother Luke ended up almost exactly like me, which makes him one of my top choices for deep conversations. But we are also known for sometimes butting heads because we can be a little too similar. Isaac, the baby of the family, can light up a whole room with his mere presence — and he can also light a room on fire and walk away.
You see what I mean? Siblings, you are my favorite and I also absolutely can't stand you sometimes, but in my opinion that's the realest kind of relationship there is — and I wouldn't trade it.
Here are a few quotes to inspire an ode to your siblings, whether they are your favorite or your favorite pain in the *ss. Or both.
1. "Half the time when brothers wrestle, it’s just an excuse to hug each other." — James Patterson
Because there's nothing like a brotherly hug.
2. "Having a sister is like having a best friend you can’t get rid of. You know whatever you do, they’ll still be there." — Amy Li
Sisters are always there and they're always there. Perhaps the best catch-22 ever, right?
3. "We didn't realize we were making memories, we just knew we were having fun." — Winnie-the-Pooh
A. A. Milne, the author of the classic Winnie-the-Pooh series, always gave our beloved bear the most thoughtful and sweet words to share with young readers. And while Winnie is technically for kids, I still find his words, especially those above, relevant as an adult.
4. "You can kid the world, but not your sister." — Charlotte Gray
My sister knows me like no other. Which means I can't get sh*t by her.
5. "Your siblings are the only people in the world who know what it's like to have been brought up the way you were." — Betsy Cohen
And that makes your crew pretty unique if you ask me.
6. "To the outside world, we all grow old. But not to brothers and sisters. We know each other as we always were. We know each other's hearts. We share private family jokes. We remember family feuds and secrets, family griefs and joys. We live outside the touch of time." — Clare Ortega
I love this quote so much. The original family unit is really pretty untouchable, isn’t it?
7. "A sibling is the lens through which you see your childhood." — Ann Hood
No one else can remind of me of my bests and worsts like my siblings.
8 ."Sometimes being a brother is even better than being a superhero." — Marc Brown
My brothers have been known to rescue me on more than one occasion, whether it's with hugs or showing up at my door with coffee (which earns anyone automatic superhero status IMO).
9. "How do people make it through life without a sister?" — Sara Corpening
I still haven't found the answer to this question.
10. “The best thing about having four big brothers is you always have someone to do something for you.” — Chloe Moretz
Little brothers are pretty good at this, too.
11. "Siblings that say they never fight are most definitely hiding something." — Lemony Snicket
Yes, oh, yes. I love 'em, but, man, are they f'ing annoying, too.
12. “Siblings: children of the same parents, each of whom is perfectly normal until they get together.” — Sam Levenson
Because we are so not normal.
13. "What brothers say to tease their sisters has nothing to do with what they really think of them." — Esther M. Friesner
True story. Brothers are a special kind of awesome.
14. "Sisters share the scent and smells — the feel of a common childhood." — Pam Brown
What a beautiful quote. Everyone knows that certain scents can bring back memories, whether it’s a special dish your mom used to cook or the first perfume you shared with your sister. I love the connection being made here about sisters.
15. “The greatest gift our parents ever gave us was each other.” —Unknown
I’ve never thought about it in this sense before, but a sibling really is the first true gift you receive from your parents. And sure, there will be good days and bad, but the sibling relationship is just that: perfectly imperfect.
16. “My whole life has been about paying attention to my Sister. Everything she has ever learned or feared or dreamed or wondered has been important to me, and so I’ve memorized it all." — Glennon Doyle
Because, my Lord, I love my sister and wouldn't want to forget a thing.
This article was originally published on