If there was one way to summarize the Harry Potter series, it wouldn't be magic, or wizards, or adventure — it would be love. Above all else, the series revolved around love; the power of love, what happens when there is a lack of love, and learning how to traverse the many landscapes of love. Which is why it should come as no surprise that if you pay close attention to the series and take the messages to heart, that there are Harry Potter quotes that will make you a better lover. Yes, J.K. Rowling supplied you with seven books that will take your wealth as a lover to the next level, if you're willing to search for the advice.
From Albus Dumbledore's wise wisdom about the love of a parent, to Rubeus Hagrid's words about loving yourself, to Sirius Black's message about treating other people, there are hidden moments throughout the Harry Potter series that will serve you well in your forays into love and relationships. Whether you're looking for assurance on a public display of affection, or you need a little help figuring out your heart, J.K. Rowling does not disappoint. Read on for Harry Potter quotes that will make you a better lover, and see how you can apply them in your own life.
1. "Do not pity the dead, Harry. Pity the living, and, above all those who live without love." — Albus Dumbledore in 'Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows'
2. “If you want to know what a man’s like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.” — Sirius Black in 'Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire'
3. “Numbing the pain for a while will make it worse when you finally feel it.” — Albus Dumbledore in 'Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire'
4. “Things we lose have a way of coming back to us in the end, if not always in the way we expect.” — Luna Lovegood in 'Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix'
5. "There was a clatter as the basilisk fangs cascaded out of Hermione's arms. Running at Ron, she flung them around his neck and kissed him full on the mouth. Ron threw away the fangs and broomstick he was holding and responded with such enthusiasm that he lifted Hermione off her feet." — 'Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows'
6. “I am what I am, an’ I’m not ashamed. ‘Never be ashamed,’ my ol’ dad used ter say, ‘There’s some who’ll hold it against you, but they’re not worth botherin’ with.'” — Rubeus Hagrid in 'Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire'
7. “Words are, in my not-so-humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic. Capable of both inflicting injury, and remedying it.” — Albus Dumbledore in 'Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows'
8. “There are some things you can’t share without ending up liking each other, and knocking out a twelve-foot mountain troll is one of them.” — 'Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone'
8. “We can’t choose our fate, but we can choose others. Be careful in knowing that.” — Albus Dumbledore in 'Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix'
9. “And he knew that at that moment, they understood each other perfectly, and when he told her what he was going to do now, she would not say ‘be careful’ or ‘don’t do it’, but she would accept his decision because she would not have expected anything less of him.” ― 'Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince'
10. “You are protected, in short, by your ability to love!” — Albus Dumbledore in 'Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince'
11. “The mind is a complex and many-layered thing… or at least, most minds are.” — Severus Snape in 'Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix'
12. "What's comin' will come, and we'll meet it when it does." — Rubeus Hagrid in 'Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire'
13. “Indifference and neglect often do much more damage than outright dislike.” — Albus Dumbledore in 'Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix'
14. “We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided.” — Albus Dumbledore in 'Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire'
15. "And without thinking, without planning it, without worrying about the fact that fifty people were watching, Harry kissed her." — 'Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows'
16. "Differences of habit and language are nothing at all if our aims are identical and our hearts are open." — Albus Dumbledore in 'Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire'
17. "Always." — Severus Snape in 'Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows'