It's almost hard to believe that it's been a year since the Supreme Court of the United States of America (SCOTUS) made the monumental decision to rule that gay marriage bans are illegal and unconstitutional. What is perhaps even more difficult to believe is that there was ever a time when two people who loved each other weren't able to get legally married solely because of their gender or orientation. Especially in light of the recent mass shooting at the gay nightclub, Pulse, in Orlando, it feels important to acknowledge that ruling with quotes that honor the anniversary of the SCOTUS decision on gay marriage.
The right to marry any person, regardless of their gender or orientation, is meaningful not just in a romantic or celebratory way, but because it serves both as a validation of the union and offers protection to individuals should their spousal partner pass away or encounter health issues. Yet those are only a few of the reasons why the SCOTUS decision was such a monumental and progressive step for the LGBT community in the United States.
Though there will never be enough words to fully encapsulate what that ruling means to a person, there are some profound and touching quotes that beautifully honor the anniversary of the SCOTUS decision and the day love won.
1. "Love is composed of a single soul inhabiting two bodies." — Aristotle
2. “People who love each other and want to live together should be able to enjoy the blessings and the strife in the marriage relationship.” — Justice Ruth Bader Ginsberg
3. "Sometimes the heart sees what is invisible to the eye." — H. Jackson Brown, Jr.
4. "I believe a marriage isn’t between a man and woman, but between love and love." — Frank Ocean
5. “I love you not because of who you are, but because of who I am when I am with you.” — Roy Croft
6. "Love has no age, no limit; and no death." — John Galsworthy
7. “At the touch of love everyone becomes a poet.” — Plato
8. "When all Americans are treated as equal, no matter who they are or whom they love, we are all more free." — President Barack Obama
9. "You know what we call same-sex couples? Our friends. Our brothers and sisters." — Mayor Tom Menino
10. “It takes no compromise to give people their rights. It takes no money to respect the individual. It takes no political deal to give people freedom. It takes no survey to remove repression.” — Harvey Milk
11. "In forming a marital union, two people become something greater than once they were. Marriage embodies a love that may endure even past death. Their plea is that they do respect it, respect it so deeply that they seek to find its fulfillment for themselves." — Justice Anthony Kennedy
12. “Only by speaking out can we create lasting change. And that change begins with coming out.” — DaShanne Stokes
13. “To be fully seen by somebody, then, and be loved anyhow–this is a human offering that can border on miraculous.” — Elizabeth Gilbert
14. “Love recognizes no barriers. It jumps hurdles, leaps fences, penetrates walls to arrive at its destination full of hope.” — Maya Angelou
15. “The highest happiness on Earth is the happiness of marriage.” — William Lyon Phelps
16. “Marriages, like a garden, take time to grow. But the harvest is rich unto those who patiently and tenderly care for the ground.” — Darlene Schacht
17. "And love is love is love is love is love is love is love is love." — Lin-Manuel Miranda