As December comes to a close, I think it is safe to say that many of us are reflecting on the past 12 months. Top it off with a champagne-induced countdown, and suddenly, the last year will flash before your eyes. And while there is something sentimental about this moment when you look back on the year that just passed, it also feels refreshing to finally post an inspirational New Year's Instagram caption to share your hopes for the year ahead.
A motivational Instagram quote paired with a memorable photo actually holds a lot of worth. Your social media timeline is already like a scrapbook, encompassing how far you have come and changed over the year. So, why not add a dose of inspiration? As the next 12 months go on, you will always have that quote to look back on.
You also never know who will benefit from reading a few thoughtful words on their news feed. These quotes encompass the strange beauty of time, and how the least we can do is just roll with it. Most importantly, they acknowledge the weight of typical New Year's resolutions, reminding us that it is always best to take it day by day.
So whether you are ringing in the new year in a party dress, or your oldest set of pajamas, here are 19 inspirational New Year's captions to share in the new year that will get you all the likes.
1. "One resolution I have made, and try always to keep, is this: To rise above the little things." ― John Burroughs
If you're in the process of learning how to stop sweating the small stuff, share this caption in celebration of your growth. You never know who needs the reminder, too.
2. "Tomorrow is the first page of a 365-page book. Write a good one." ― Brad Paisley
Readers, writers, and lovers of all things literary will adore this caption. (Oh, and fans of Brad Paisley, too.) It doubles as a reminder that every single day is part of the bigger picture.
3. "And now we welcome the new year, full of things that have never been." ― Rainer Maria Rilke
Are you anticipating a lot of changes this year? This caption emphasizes the excitement of the unknown, so consider sharing it this New Year.
4. "Cheers to a New Year and another chance for us to get it right." ― Oprah Winfrey
One might argue that no one really know what they're doing, but you can't deny the beautiful simplicity of this quote by the one and only Oprah Winfrey.
5. "Celebrate what you want to see more of." ― Tom Peters
It only makes sense to honor the most meaningful things in life, whether it's play dates with the kids or jogging with the dog. With this caption, you can be sure to do this from the moment the new year starts.
6. "We will open the book. Its pages are blank. We are going to put words on them ourselves. The book is called 'Opportunity' and its first chapter is New Year's Day." ― Edith Lovejoy Pierce
For another bookish caption, share this quote by Edith Lovejoy Pierce, an English poet. It stresses the impact of each and every day, for each and every page.
7. "For last year's words belong to last year's language, and next year's words await another voice. And to make an end is to make a beginning..." — T.S. Eliot
To celebrate new beginnings, post this quote with the most memorable photo of the night.
8. "Write it on your heart that every day is the best day in the year." — Ralph Waldo Emerson
Pair this caption with a picture of you and your loved ones, the very people who make every day the best day.
9. "You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream." — C.S. Lewis
It's easy to envy the young, who seem to be so much more carefree and to have the opportunity to do whatever they want because they have time on their side, but whether you are 10, 20, or 80, it's never too late to set up goals for yourself, and to keep dreaming. If you don't have big plans for the new year yet, it's never too late to.
10. "Approach the New Year with resolve to find the opportunities hidden in each new day." — Michael Josephson
For the followers that are all about that "get stuff done" attitude, this caption is sure to stand out.
11. "Here’s to the bright New Year, and a fond farewell to the old; here’s to the things that are yet to come, and to the memories that we hold." — Unknown
Do you love poetic sayings with a seasonal twist? This Instagram caption is the perfect one for you. embracing the past and future equally.
12. "Ring out the false, ring in the true." ― Alfred Lord Tennyson
We love the sweet and simple approach with this catchy phrase. It's all about shedding all that which is not genuine from your life, and celebrating the things and people who are. We see this quote pairing perfectly with a festive New Year's Eve vignette: the clock, fireworks, and Times Square ball.
13. "I think in terms of the day's resolutions, not the years." ― Henry Moore
A yearly resolution holds a lot of weight. But with this inspirational caption, your followers will remember that it's all about taking it day by day.
14. "A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new." ― Albert Einstein
A mistake is a lesson in disguise, as they say. This will definitely speak out to people who are taking on a new venture like parenthood or starting a new business, and reassures all that everybody makes mistakes, so don't let them discourage you from embarking on new adventures.
15. "What is not started today is never finished tomorrow." ― Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
If you are feeling particularly ambitious about making some small yet meaningful changes, this caption is for you. It might even stir up some ambition within your followers and encourage anyone who has been holding off on starting a new project to take the leap.
16. "The object of a new year is not that we should have a new year. It is that we should have a new soul." ― G. K. Chesterton
They say "age is just a number", but what about time? This quote by novelist and poet G.K. Chesterton embodies what really changes year after year — us, as we grow, gain perspective, and mature, year over year.
17. "Your success and happiness lies in you. Resolve to keep happy, and your joy and you shall form an invincible host against difficulties." ― Helen Keller
It goes without saying that emotional health is everything. To remind your followers to put their happiness first, share this moving quote by author, activist, and lecturer, Helen Keller. Everything else that is good will follow.
18. "You can get excited about the future. The past won't mind." ― Hillary DePiano
It's easy to hang on to the past, but this New Year's, allow yourself to take a step forward. There's a good chance one of your followers will connect with this quote.
Check out Romper's new video series, Romper's Doula Diaries:
Watch full episodes of Romper's Doula Diaries on Facebook Watch.