Last year, National Sibling Day totally snuck up on me and I forgot to post the throwback picture of me and my sister that I had been saving for just such an occasion. Not this year! The sibling-centric spring holiday is April 10, and I'm ready to give my fabulous big sis a major shoutout, via text and on social media, of course. If you're looking to do the same, I've rounded up some awesome Instagram captions to honor your sister for National Sibling Day.
First things first, you need to decide whether you want to post an embarrassing picture of the two of you from your childhood (fanny packs, neon, bowl haircuts, anyone?), or if you're going to take the high road and post a more recent shot of the two of you from, say, your wedding, or some such occasion. Either way, there's a caption out there that will make your sis, and your followers, feel all the feels. No matter where you live now, whether in the same building, a different state, or even a different country, a special Instagram post dedicated to your sister will remind her that you think your bond is simply the best.
1. "We didn't realize we were making memories, we just knew we were having fun." - Winnie the Pooh
2. "Never let an angry sister comb your hair." - Patricia McCann
Chances are, if you grew up with a sister, at some point, you two decided that playing real-life hair salon was a good idea. That means there's probably a picture floating around of you with crazy-short bangs or some other scream-inducing cut.
If you're posting an iconic hair pic, use a playful quote, like this one from Patricia McCann, for your caption.
3. "It's hard to be responsible, adult and sensible all the time. How good it is to have a sister whose heart is as young as your own." - Pam Brown
If your sister is the person you turn to when you can't 'adult' another second, then a quote like this one from Australian poet Pam Brown would make the perfect Insta caption.
4. "I smile because you are my sister, I laugh because there is nothing you can do about it!" - unknown
No matter how much you fought as kids (or still do), you know you always have each other's backs.
5. It was nice growing up with someone like you — someone to lean on, someone to count on... someone to tell on!" - unknown
If you're still living down accusations of being a tattletale, then this quote is perfect for National Siblings Day.
6. "A sister will let you know when the outfit you're trying on really doesn't look fabulous." -unknown
You gotta love your sister for saving you from many, oh-so-many fashion disasters. Use a quote like this one to say thank you to your stylish sis for never letting you leave the house with something to mortifying on.
7. "Sisters are different flowers from the same garden." - unknown
For the sisters out there that are polar opposites, yet still manage to stay closer than close, a sweet quote like this one is too fitting.
8. "To the outside world, we all grow old. But not to brothers and sisters. We know each other as we always were." — Clara Ortega
No matter how mature you think you are now, all it takes is a few belly laughs with your sister to remind you that you are, and always will be, a kid at heart.
9. "Siblings: a combination of a best friend and a pain in the neck." — unknown
If you want to take a more humorous approach to National Siblings Day, roasting your sister just a little bit on Instagram is a fun way to go.
Whether you are the big sis who had to put up with years of annoying kid-sister behavior, or you are the little sister who had to put up with a bossy big sis, now is the time for a little, harmless pay-back.
10. "We shared a room, you stole my toys, and then my clothes, but best friends we became. " - Catherine Pulsifer
There are two kinds of people in this world. Those who had their own room growing up, and those who had to share one. If you know the exquisite torture (and joy) of sharing a room with a sister, then this quote is so spot-on.
11. "Is solace anywhere more comforting than in the arms of a sister?" -- Alice Walker
If you're posting a pic of you and your sister, arm-in-arm, than this powerful quote from Alice Walker is a fitting choice.
12. “There is no better friend than a sister. And there is no better sister than you.” - unknown
Looking for a caption that's sure to bring the waterworks? You can't go wrong with a caption that's sweet and sentimental.
13. “The only thing better than having you as my sister is my children having you as their aunt.” - unknown
There's truly nothing more meaningful than seeing your sister take on the tender role of aunt. If you want to give your sister a special shoutout for being a total rockstar sister and auntie, then a caption like this is kind of perfect.
14. “As your sister please always remember… I loved you yesterday. I love you still. I always have. I always will.” - unknown
Your sister is definitely a built-in best buddy for life. Pair this caption with some heart emojis and it will convey just how much you appreciate your forever friend.
15. "Sister is probably the most competitive relationship within the family, but once the sisters are grown, it becomes the strongest relationship." – Margaret Mead
Growing up, my sister and I fought like cats and dogs, but now we're thicker than thieves. A quote like this one Margaret Mead totally captures the evolution of sisterhood.
16. By my side through thick and thin
Whether you're celebrating the good times, or comforting each other in bad times, being sisters means being there for each other no matter what.
17. "Sisters may drive you crazy, get into your stuff and irritate you. However, if anyone else dares say so, a sister will defend you to the death." – Unknown
No matter how old you are, there's nothing better than having your sister stand up for you.
18. "A sister is a gift to the heart, a friend to the spirit, a golden thread to the meaning of life." – Isadora James
This quote from Isadora James feels especially poignant if you're posting a picture of you and your sister from either one of your wedding days.
19. "A sister shares childhood memories and grown-up dreams." – unknown
This would be the perfect caption to use for a two-pic post, with the first pic being from your childhood, and the second pic of you as adults.
20. Thanks for being the yin to my yang
If you and your sister have always balanced each other out in the most perfect ways, then a nice yin-yang reference is the way to go. Bonus points if you can post a throwback pic from the '90s of you two wearing any BFF jewelry.