If you're anything like me, red wine is probably one of your favorite go-tos to wind down and get some much needed relaxation at the end of a long day. While some people turn to a beer or mixed drink, red wine is definitely the default for me (and many others), especially considering it's been rumored to have some health benefits (or at least that's what I like to tell myself). After a while, however, my body started reacting differently to it. It took me a while realize that there are signs you're actually allergic to red wine and pinpoint the culprit.
Wine-specific allergies, like stomach aches or wheezing, are a little different than general alcohol allergies. According to Healthline, red wine allergies are more likely to be caused by sulfites, histamine, or other compounds in wine. Red wine actually contains more of these occasionally-problematic pieces more than even white wine. Although the grape skins are responsible for some of wine's health benefits, according to the Mayo Clinic, they're pretty much overruled by the downfall of an allergic reaction. So, take note if you're experiencing any of these signs in correlation with red wine.
Although having some signs of allergies to red wine doesn't automatically mean you can't drink it anymore, it's sad to realize it's no longer the best, or most agreeable, option to partake in after a long day, day after day. Considering it's an admitted stereotypical favorite amongst many moms, it's frustrating to realize your body may not agree. The good news is: knowing some of the signs of an allergy to red wine can help you stop some pretty agitating symptoms for good. And don't panic if you think you can't end your day with some sort of boozy night cap — being allergic to red wine doesn't automatically mean you're allergic to alcohol in general.