We live in a world where, sometimes, escaping into the drama of someone else's life is the best coping mechanism we can think of. With everything going on in the world, it can be nice to lose yourself in a good book, a movie, or yes, a reality television show (no judgment). But, that doesn't mean that your favorite TV shows are exempt from drama of their own. Such is the case with the latest news concerning Bachelor in Paradise, which has ceased production due to an alleged "incident" involving two of the show's contestants. While Bachelor in Paradise updates are rolling in, there are a lot of decisions about the show's future that are still up in the air.
So far, all we know about the alleged incident is that it took place between contestants Corinne Olympios and DeMario Jackson, who were reportedly involved in some sort of "sexual encounter" in a hot tub after the two had been drinking heavily. The incident allegedly caused one unnamed third party to feel uncomfortable, which then led to the allegations of misconduct and the the show halting production indefinitely.
As all of this happened just recently, and contestants are slowly starting to come forward to speak out, these are the few details we know so far.
The Cast Has Officially Left The Filming Location
According to an Instagram post that was then retweeted by a Bachelor fan, the cast was spotted at an airport leaving the filming location with plans to fly back to Houston as soon as possible.
Warner Bros. Is Aware Of The Alleged Incident
After news of the alleged misconduct began making the rounds, Warner Bros. responded with the following statement:
We have become aware of allegations of misconduct on the set of Bachelor in Paradise in Mexico. We have suspended production and we are conducting a thorough investigation of these allegations. Once the investigation is complete, we will take appropriate responsive action.
The Show Probably Won't Continue To Film This Season
One contestant, who requested not to be named, spoke to People magazine Monday about what all went down. Here's what they said:
[The producer] was like, "I don’t think that’s realistic." She said that there was an investigation going on, and that could take days, weeks, or even months. And by that time, we all have lives and jobs and things to go back to, so it just wasn’t going to work out. They told us that we’d be considered for future seasons and opportunities in the franchise, but that this adventure was probably over.
Corinne Olympios Has "Lawyered Up"
According to several sources, Olympios has allegedly hired a lawyer to represent her, reportedly claiming that the producers are at fault for whatever allegedly happened in the hot tub.
The Alleged Sexual Act Might Not Have Been Consensual
Although it has yet to be confirmed by Olympios herself, sources are claiming that the alleged incident was technically sexual assault, as Olympios was too drunk to give consent. This would make Olympios' decision to hire a lawyer completely understandable, as well as shed a new light on what happens behind the scenes of reality television. (It's important to note that no criminal charges have been filed against any of the cast members, and so far, neither Olympios nor her lawyer have moved to press charges against any of them either.)
The Contestants Will Likely Still Get Paid
Per the anonymous source who spoke to People, the contestants all had to give up three weeks of their life. However, the stipend they were set to receive, which ranges from $8,000 to $15,000 will likely still be paid out.
For now, further details about what may or may not have allegedly gone down on the Bachelor in Paradise set are still murky. Hopefully, with time, things will get sorted out, for everyone's sake.