FABRICE COFFRINI/AFP/Getty Images

Can I Get Formula For Free? It Can Get A Little Pricey

By
Share

Feeding your newborn baby is one of the most important things you’ll do as a mother. There are many decisions to be made: From breastfeeding, to bottle, to formula, the options are seemingly endless, and all come with their own pros and cons. However, at one point or another, it's likely that many moms will need to use formula to feed their baby. And, because the cost of formula starts at about $20 for 30 ounces, it isn’t exactly cheap. If you're wondering how to get free formula, there are a few tricks you should know.

One of the first things you'll learn as a new mother is how many hidden costs there really are when it comes to raising a child. From diapers to the clothes they outgrow way too quickly, and everything in between, motherhood is pretty expensive. Whether you have one child, or 10, the average cost of raising a child in America has been estimated to be almost $250,000, according to a 2014 report from the U.S. Department of Agriculture. And with 64 percent of American mothers breastfeeding their infants — leaving some 36 percent that aren't, and who may be resorting to other methods, according to the American Academy of Pediatrics — you're likely not alone in suffering the high costs of baby formula.

But not to fret, there are ways to get what you need cheap, and in some cases, even free. Here’s how to do it:

Request Samples

PHILIPPE LOPEZ/AFP/Getty Images

Several formula companies, such as Enfamil and Similac, offer free samples of their formula online. Requesting the products is simple enough, and it's a great way to test out the different brands of formula to understand and learn what works best for you and your baby.

Ask Your Hospital

JEAN-PIERRE CLATOT/AFP/Getty Images

Another way to get free formula samples is to directly request them from your hospital. Most hospitals receive free samples of a plethora of products from different companies, so make sure you inquire about formula, as well as any bottles, pacifiers, or diapers they may have.

Look Into The Women, Infant & Children Welfare Program

Ed Wray/Getty Images News/Getty Images

The U.S. WIC program offers many incentives to women who meet certain criteria and income regulations. Check to see if you’re eligible, and you could receive free baby formula for up to a year, and more for any older children you may have. If you have Medicaid, you should already qualify for WIC, so definitely make sure you check this out.

Clip Some Coupons

KAREN BLEIER/AFP/Getty Images

Let the TLC show Extreme Couponing provide you some inspiration. Clip as many coupons as you can, from websites, newspapers, and more. Ask your friends and family to keep an eye out for any formula coupons as well — you’d be surprised at the deals available to you that require few things to take advantage.

Raising a baby is hard, and expensive. Every mother should know how to make the most of their money, and how they can get help if they need it. Receiving free or discounted formula is a great way to cut costs.