Even if your friends insist you're a glowing, life-giving goddess, pregnancy doesn't always feel so glamorous. If you're pregnant over the summer, nature has a way of making you extra aware of your physical self: it's way too hot, your body is twice its usual size, and your doctor has probably advised against drinking unlimited glasses of chilled rosé.
But this doesn't mean you need to skip your BFF's barbecue or your favorite outdoor concert series — you just need to get creative. To make sure you're still having all of the fun you deserve this summer, we partnered with Ocean Spray® Mocktails to offer up some genius summer survival tips that every pregnant woman needs to know. Whether you're searching for cool, comfortable clothes or a refreshing mocktail to enjoy with your friends, we've got you covered. No matter what adventure you have planned this summer, here's what you need to know.
The air can get hot very quickly when the grill is fired up, so if your soiree is potluck-style, bring a cold entree (like the simple panzanella skewers above) to enjoy in case burgers and hotdogs aren't doing it for you in the moment.
- A refreshing summer drink to share with friends, like the Ocean Spray® Cranberry Sangria Mocktail.
- Comfortable shoes, like slide-on sneakers or espadrilles that offer some support.
- Sunglasses that have U.V. protection built into the lenses — you'll want to cover your sun protection bases any way you can.
A Day At The Pool
If there is one piece of clothing worth investing in during a summer pregnancy, it's a comfortable swimsuit that you love. You'll for sure want to give yourself the option of hopping into the water to cool down.
- A wide-brimmed hat and some pregnancy-safe sunblock to protect your skin, which can become extra-sensitive when you're expecting (thanks, hormones).
- Freshly chopped watermelon, which has tons of health benefits for pregnant women — it contains 92 percent water, which can help stave off dehydration.
- Insect repellent containing up to 30 percent DEET concentration, which the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has deemed as a safe bug spray for pregnant women to use.
An Outdoor Wedding
Cheers to the happy couple! And cheers to you for not bailing at the last second, even if the temps are soaring. Give yourself time to find a great summer dress that can go from a trip to the store to a fancy wedding, like this cocktail-length dress. An empire waist won't be as limiting as other cuts, and you'll be able to wear it all season long.
- Cozy shoes that offer arch support, since you likely don't know what the standing-vs.-sitting situation will look like until you're there. If you're adamant about wearing heels, a pair with a wide block heel offers more stability.
- Plenty of hair ties or hair pins. An updo like a crown braid is ideal for keeping your hair up and off of your neck. If your look is all about keeping it down, bring some elastics so have some options.
- Sweaty skin-savers like pressed powder and blotting tissues to nix shine before posing for pictures.
- Mineral sunblock to protect your sensitive skin.
An Outdoor Concert
Whether you're going to a music festival or just heading out to hear a local band in the park, summer is prime outdoor concert season. Throw on one of your favorite, light sundresses, and you're good to go.
- Your own cooler and refreshments to enjoy, like the Ocean Spray® Cranberry Peach Bellini Mocktail.
- A portable lawn chair for moments when you need to take a quick break from dancing (hey, no shame!).
- A simple DIY cooling spray (all you need is peppermint oil and water) and a handheld fan in case you need to cool off.
- Some bug spray and mineral sunblock.
Because under no circumstances should you be missing out on precious hours of well-deserved rest. Pick out a loose T-shirt and some shorts to wear as pajamas so you can be as comfortable and cool as possible.
- A sleep bra, which can offer you the extra support your body needs.
- A glass of ice cubes on your nightstand, which will melt into cold water to quench midnight thirst.
- A large body pillow, positioned under your baby bump to support your belly, hips, and back while you're sleeping on your side.
- A good book to keep within reach, just in case you find yourself unable to sleep.
This post is sponsored by Ocean Spray® Mocktails.
Photos: Ashley Batz; Hair: Adam Maclay; Makeup: Mary Guthrie; Food Stylist: Ashley Rose Conway; Wardrobe Stylist: Rebecca Alaniz; Set/Prop Stylist: Pakayla Biehn; Art Direction: Bry Crasch, Brit Phillips.