Even if you wouldn't describe yourself as a super emotional person, there's one individual in your life guaranteed to give you the feels. I'm talking about your mother. Whether you have one, two, or were raised by a wonderful range of people who loved you, there's just something that pulls at the heartstrings when you take a moments to stop and think about how much your mother has done for you. If your tear ducts aren't getting a workout just yet, wait until you read these Mother's Day Quotes to make you cry.
Just pause for a minute, if you will, and consider what your mom had to go through before you even entered the world. If she carried you in her womb, then she had unbelievable constipation (trust me, don't ask), heartburn, morning sickness that was more like all day and night sickness, swollen ankles, back pain, sleepless nights, and riding the hormonal roller coaster of emotions during pregnancy. And if she adopted you, then she had to fill out piles and piles of paperwork, go through many rounds of interviews to see if she was deemed an acceptable parent. Regardless of how your mother became a mother, she endured some seriously emotional and physical challenged. Reaching for the Kleenex yet? Then read on.
1. "No one else will ever know the strength of my love for you. After all, you’re the only one who knows the sound of my heart from the inside." ― Kristen Proby
That's one of those things that you never really thought about, but once someone says it, your mind is just completely blown. How amazing is it to share such a unique bond with your mother like that?
2. “Being a mother is an attitude, not a biological relation.” — Robert A. Heinlein
I have friends who were adopted and friends who have recently adopted children of their own. Let me tell you, they may not be biologically related, but their love is some of the fiercest, most loyal kind out there. After all, an adoptive parent chose and desperately wanted you. If that isn't the makings of an amazing mother, then I don't know what is.
3. “She raised us with humor, and she raised us to understand that not everything was going to be great—but how to laugh through it.” — Liza Minnelli
Resilience is perhaps one of the strongest skills a mother can give to her child. To be able to find a reason to smile even in the darkest of days is a gift, one given to you by your mother.
4. “My mom had four kids, one with special needs. She had a full-time job, and she still came home and made dinner for us every night, from scratch. It was amazing.” — Eva Longoria
If you look back on all the things your mother did for you growing up, you'll be astounded by the amount of cooking, cleaning, homework helping, late night consoling, and car ride giving she did.
5. “Acceptance, tolerance, bravery, compassion. These are the things my mom taught me.” — Lady Gaga
You know how they say, behind every great man is a great woman? Well, behind every single person is their mother, the one who inspired them to become who they are today.
6. “My mother always said I was beautiful and I finally believed her at some point.” — Lupita Nyong’o
This just proves that everyone has insecurities and the person who is consistently there to make them feel validated and beautiful is always their mother.
7. “Most people’s mothers are the most influential person in their life. But my mother survived the camps, and she was very strong. She made me strong, but she wanted me to be strong. That’s more important.” — Diane von Furstenberg
One can only imagine the type of strength that was necessary to survive the harrowing tragedy of concentration camps, yet one woman took that pain and struggle and turned it into fuel for raising a fiercely strong daughter of her own.
8. "A mother understands what a child does not say." — Jewish Proverb
Every kid has had that moment where their heart is so full and troubled, yet they can't find the words to express the inner turmoil brewing within. But they don't need to, because a mother always knows, without a single word being spoken.
9. “All that I am or ever hope to be, I owe to my angel mother.” ― Abraham Lincoln
Time and time again, it never ceases to surprise me how many significant, successful, and powerful people owe all they are and have achieved to their mothers.
10. “I have found being a mother has made me emotionally raw in many situations. You heart is beating outside your body when you have a baby.” — Kate Beckinsale
Words truly cannot describe how it feels to hold your baby for the first time. In that moment, your whole world changes and you think your heart my actually burst because it is overflowing with unconditional love.
11. “Be a mother who is committed to loving her children into standing on higher ground than the environment surrounding them.” ― Marjorie Pay Hinckley
One can only hope to have, and possibly one day be, such a mother that would gladly sacrifice whatever necessary in order to give her children the best life possible.
12. “There's nothing like your mother's sympathetic voice to make you want to burst into tears.” ― Sophie Kinsella
Sometimes you just need to have yourself a good sob. Whose shoulder makes a better crying cushion than your mother's?
13. “A mother’s love for her child is like nothing else in the world. It knows no law, no pity, it dates all things and crushes down remorselessly all that stands in its path.” ― Agatha Christie
Throughout nature, all mothers will fiercely defend, protect, and love their children. It's science, basically. Now go call your mother and tell her you love her.