Every year has its up and downs, but I think we can all agree 2017 was particularly eventful. The world is going through some crazy times right now, to say the least. And while we can't exactly predict the future and control every moment, the least we can do is stay in good spirits, starting with funny New Year's captions for Instagram to sprinkle our feeds with a little bit positivity. After all, these words are some of the first ones you will be posting in 2018. So why not choose something with a sense of a humor?
These hilarious Instagram quotes will also give your followers a chuckle, reminding everyone not take themselves — and those pesky resolutions — too seriously, especially as the new year starts. I mean, there is so much buzz around making amazing resolutions and sticking to each and every one. And while there is nothing wrong with setting goals and making awesome things happen, it's also crucial to remember that we are also human. Struggles, setbacks, and failures are bound to happen, but isn't that what makes every goal worth shooting for?
Basically, New Year's resolutions hold so much more weight than they need to. Instead of reaching for an enormous goal, focus on smaller habits and allow room to laugh at yourself. These changes aren't just feasible, but fun, too. And with these amusing quotes, you'll welcome 2018 in the best mood ever.
1. "A New Year's resolution is something that goes in one year and out the other."
Many of us know the woes of making resolutions just to wave them goodbye soon after. If this sounds all too familiar, share this clever yet seasonal spin on an old saying.
2. "My New Year's Resolution is to stick to my resolutions."
When you're dead set on making some serious moves in the next year, this caption is the perfect one to post.
3. "New Year's Day is every man's birthday." — Charles Lamp
One might argue that it is actually time's birthday. But if we are all a part of time, then it's actually our birthday too right? Right. Let's Party.
4. "If you're born in September, it's safe to assume that you parents started their new year with a bang."
Whether you're born in September — or gave birth to a child in September — posting this hilarious caption is a must for New Year's. But don't worry September babies, you're not alone.
5. "Youth is when you're allowed to stay up late on New Year's Eve. Middle age is when you're forced to." — Bill Vaughan
Sleepy mamas, this one will definitely speak to your soul. Pair this caption with a photo of your little ones enjoying their taste of midnight while you count down the seconds you can go to bed.
6. "Here's to drinking enough that we'll need Ryan Seacrest to help us count backwards from 10."
Without Ryan Seacrest, goodness knows what numbers we'd be trying to count to.
7. "To my New Year's resolutions, that was fun while it lasted. Sincerely, January 2nd."
For another way to poke fun at the longevity of the average New Year's resolution, share this quote with a festive photo.
8. "Many years ago I resolved never to bother with New Year's resolutions, and I've stuck with it ever since." — Dave Beard
Thanks to this life hack, you can finally feel like you successfully checked off a New Year's resolution for once in your life. Share it on New Year's so other people can get in on your secret, too.
9. "My New Year's resolution is to stop hanging out with people who ask me about my New Year's resolutions."
Post this cheeky quote right before a party. Hopefully, your friends and family will get the hint to avoid bringing up the dreaded topic.
10. "May all your troubles last as long as your New Year's resolutions!" — Joey Adams
If all our troubles lasted this long — or short — the world would be a happier place and we would all be a little more carefree.
11. “I would say happy new year but it's not happy; it's exactly the same as last year except colder.” ― Robert Clark
Some people are just bitter, like the weather at this time of year, and that's okay, too. Whether you're known for hating the cold or just moved to a wintry city, this quote will be right up your alley.
12. “New Year’s Day… now is the accepted time to make your regular annual good resolutions. Next week you can begin paving hell with them as usual.” — Mark Twain
Mark Twain sure has a way of telling it like it is. But hey, at least you had one good week though, right?
13. "First you take a drink, then the drink takes a drink, then the drink takes you." ― F. Scott Fitzgerald
When the party is left with empty champagne bottles, this caption will come in handy. Heck, you might even be thinking about this quote before the ball even drops.
14. "To be an ideal guest, stay at home." ― E.W. Howe
New Year's Eve is known to make people... feisty. We bet some party hosts are wishing that some of their guests observe this quote, and that some guests are more than happy to oblige. Fellow introverts, I know you feel me on this one.
Check out Romper's new video series, Romper's Doula Diaries:
Watch full episodes of Romper's Doula Diaries on Facebook Watch.