While it might be surprising to hear, some people's bodies are unable to tolerate wine properly. A wine allergy, intolerance, or sensitivity — all of which, yes, are things — typically has less to do with the grapes themselves and more to do with other characteristics of the wine that you're drinking. If drinking wine makes you feel kind of ill, chances are you have some sort of intolerance, but there are other signs that your body doesn't tolerate wine properly, too, some of which might surprise you.
Even if you think your body handles wine just fine, it might not handle it as well as you think. According to the Mayo Clinic, you likely need to see a doctor about it if you have a more severe reaction or suspect that your negative reaction might be due to a full-blown allergy. Another clue that you should seek medical advice is if you're more likely to experience a negative reaction from red wines than you are from whites or rosés, according to Rodale Wellness. While it's relatively rare to have a full-blown wine allergy, a 2012 study conducted in Germany found that about 8.9 percent of women and 5.2 percent of men experience some sort of wine intolerance, though the study results were limited because not everyone completed the survey. If you think you fall within those percentages, you definitely need to know for which signs you should be looking. It doesn't necessarily mean that you have to stop drinking wine altogether, but still, if your body doesn't tolerate wine properly, you just might want to know.