The Bachelor in Paradise cast and crew has remained largely silent since allegations of "misconduct" halted production of the show earlier this week. Now, one of the alleged participants of the event that temporarily shut the show down has finally made an official statement. Corinne Olympios' statement about the Bachelor in Paradise allegations will hopefully put an end to the rumors and gossip online, and set the record straight.
Olympios released a statement late Wednesday afternoon that said, "As a woman, this is my worst nightmare and it has now become my reality." The 24-year-old added:
Olympios said that she hired a legal team to "ensure that what happened on June 4 comes to light" and to "obtain justice." The Miami native also said she's enlisted the help of a therapist to help confront the emotional trauma.
According to TMZ, Olympios hired Marty Singer, a Hollywood lawyer who has represented the likes of John Travolta, Scarlett Johansson, Charlie Sheen, and Jonah Hill. Singer was also Bill Cosby's attorney until October 2015, just as more sexual assault allegations were made against the comedian.
According to an initial statement from Warner Bros., officials are investigating the alleged "misconduct" and will take appropriate action as necessary. In the meantime, anonymous sources have been filling in some of the blanks left by the official statements. A source told People that there was indeed an alleged incident between Olympios and DeMario Jackson on the date in question. Jackson has reportedly also hired a lawyer and is attempting to get the video footage of that night released. He maintains the interaction was consensual, according to TMZ.
Both contestants were reportedly drinking all day before the alleged sexual encounter occurred. A Bachelor in Paradise producer allegedly viewed the tapes of the evening and filed a complaint after it appeared that one of the contestants had allegedly been unable to consent to the act.
However another account claimed that Olympios and Jackson were supposed to be getting to know each other in order to play out a story line on the show, and that they were both allegedly fine after the incident until other cast members informed them about what had happened. By that account, contestants were also allegedly shocked that producers didn't do more to stop the incident in real time, if one had happened. Another gruesome account from an anonymous crew member in The Daily Mail provides more information about what might have allegedly gone down.
In any case, the incident raises a lot of questions about the show, its methods, and consent. Hopefully, Warner Bros. will complete its investigation as soon as possible, for everyone's benefit.