If you're planning out your breakfasts for the week, you might want to take a look in your freezer first. On Monday, New Jersey-based manufacturer Pinnacle Foods issued a voluntary recall of several of its Aunt Jemima brand products. Don't worry: The breakfast syrup is just fine, but several frozen breakfast products have been voluntarily recalled over listeria concerns. Here's how to tell if your Aunt Jemima waffles, pancakes, or French toast were recalled.
According to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration recall notice released this week, 19 different products have been affected by the Aunt Jemima recall. In addition to several varieties of frozen waffles and French toast, frozen pancakes and one Hungry Man brand frozen product were also affected by the recall. While testing of the plant environment where these products were manufactured revealed the presence of Listeria monocytogenes, the FDA notice stated that no illnesses have been reported and that the recall was issued voluntarily out of an abundance of caution. Pinnacle Foods did not immediately return Romper's request for comment.
Listeria is especially dangerous for pregnant women, as the food-borne bacteria can cause miscarriage, preterm labor, stillbirth, and in especially serious infections, maternal death. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, pregnant women are 10 times more likely to contract listeriosis from eating listeria-contaminated foods.
Aunt Jemima Frozen Waffles
Four Aunt Jemima waffle products were included in the recall. These include all 17.18 oz. frozen packages of Aunt Jemima Homestyle Waffles, Aunt Jemima Buttermilk Waffles, Aunt Jemima Blueberry Waffles, and Aunt Jemima Low Fat Waffles. Additionally, all 16 oz. Hungry Man Selects Chicken and Waffles were also recalled. All "Best Buy" dates have been recalled, and the specific UPC codes affected are listed below.
- Aunt Jemima Homestyle Waffle, 17.18 oz., UPC: 019600062004
- Aunt Jemima Buttermilk Waffle, 17.18 oz., UPC: 019600062103
- Aunt Jemima Blueberry Waffle, 17.18 oz., UPC: 019600062202
- Aunt Jemima Low Fat Waffle, 17.18 oz., UPC: 019600062301
- Hungry Man Selects Chicken & Waffles, 16 oz., UPC: 658276202903
Aunt Jemima Frozen French Toast
Four Aunt Jemima French toast products were named in the recall, including all 12.5 oz. frozen packages of Aunt Jemima French Toast, Aunt Jemima Cinnamon French Toast, and Aunt Jemima Whole Grain French Toast. In addition, all 5.5 oz. frozen packages of Aunt Jemima French Toast and Sausage were also included. The affected UPC codes are as follows:
- Aunt Jemima French Toast, 12.5 oz., UPC: 019600057703
- Aunt Jemima Cinnamon French Toast, 12.5 oz., UPC: 019600058908
- Aunt Jemima Whole Grain French Toast, 12.5 oz., UPC: 019600059684
- Aunt Jemima French Toast & Sausage, 5.5 oz, UPC: 051000063915
Aunt Jemima Frozen Pancakes
The largest range of products affected included 10 different frozen pancake products, including one product sold in Mexico. The affected product names and UPC codes are as follows:
- Aunt Jemima Lil Griddlers Blueberry, 14.5oz., UPC: 019600054603
- Aunt Jemima Mini Pancakes, 14.5oz., UPC: 019600054801
- Aunt Jemima Buttermilk Pancake Low Fat, 14.5oz., UPC: 019600061007
- Aunt Jemima Blueberry Pancake, 14.8oz., UPC: 019600064701
- Aunt Jemima Oatmeal Pancake, 14.8oz., UPC: 019600064909
- Aunt Jemima Whole Grain Pancake, 14.5oz., UPC: 019600066408
- Aunt Jemima Buttermilk Pancake, 14.8oz., UPC: 019600068204
- Aunt Jemima Homestyle Pancake, 14.8oz., UPC: 019600069102
- Aunt Jemima 60 Count Club Pancakes Premium, UPC: 019600435907
- Aunt Jemima Pancake Mexico 60 Count, UPC: 019600435921
If you have one of the recalled products in your freezer, the FDA notice advises consumers to return them to where you purchased the products for a full refund. Consumers can also contact Pinnacle Foods at 1-888-299-7646 for more information.