Are you one of those people who hangs on to their Halloween candy for months? Instead of having an all-night feast on Oct. 31, do you exercise restraint, leaving goodies in your house for ages? If so, you might want to check your Fairway brand candy corn, because it's been recalled.
According to the FDA website, Fairway "Like No Other Markets" of New York brand candy corn has been recalled due to a possible egg allergy risk. The candy was distributed throughout New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut. It is also available through home delivery services by Fairway E-commerce, Google, and Instacart. While the Fairway brand candy corn does not list egg as one of its ingredients, there is a risk of egg being present which could present a potential health risk for anyone with an egg allergy. Fairway reportedly recalled the product due to an allergic reaction by a customer. The company has stopped distributing the candy and has removed the product from store shelves. Fairway has also changed the labelling on this product to include the full list of ingredients, including the fact that it may contain egg.
Fairway Market did not immediately respond to a request for comment from Romper.
Egg allergies can cause quite severe reactions; according to the Mayo Clinic website, symptoms and reactions of a milder egg allergy can include:
- Skin inflammation or hives — the most common egg allergy reaction
- Nasal congestion, runny nose and sneezing (allergic rhinitis)
- Digestive symptoms, such as cramps, nausea and vomiting
- Asthma signs and symptoms such as coughing, wheezing, chest tightness or shortness of breath
Severe reactions could cause anaphylaxis, which can be potentially lethal if not treated immediately by an epinephrine shot and a trip to the emergency room. Symptoms of a severe allergic reaction can include:
- Constriction of airways, including a swollen throat or a lump in your throat that makes it difficult to breathe
- Abdominal pain and cramping
- Rapid pulse
- Shock, with a severe drop in blood pressure felt as dizziness, lightheadedness or loss of consciousness
If you have purchased Fairway brand candy corn and are concerned that it could be part of the recall, the bar code is 228402 XXXXXX and the candy corn is sold in clear cello bags in varying sizes. Any of the product with a "sell by" date code have been recalled, but none of their other products are part of the recall. Customers are being asked to return the candy corn to their place of purchase for a full refund, or if they have any questions they are welcome to call (646) 616-8265, Monday – Friday, 9 am – 5 pm EST.