Spencer Platt/Getty Images News/Getty Images

What Happened In St. Petersburg?

by Abby Norman

On Monday, social media and news from St. Petersburg, Russia, reported at least one explosion in the city's metro system. The exact number of casualties is not yet known — as the situation is still enveloped in chaos — but dozens of injuries have already been reported, including children. What happened in St. Petersburg? The source of the explosion has not yet been definitively determined, but early reports are citing explosive devices.

Social media users began posting images of the explosion almost immediately, in which many casualties were clearly visible. The Russian media has reported as many as 10 deaths as a result of the explosion, according to TIME. At first it was believed that there were multiple explosions, but it was later determined that one explosion occurred between two different subway locations, according to Reuters. The two locations were the Sennaya Ploschad and Tekhnologichesky Institut stations, both of which are in the city's center, according to The Independent.

Metro stations throughout the city have closed, and people are being evacuated from the public transportation terminals, according to The Telegraph.

Russia's president Vladimir Putin, who was scheduled to appear at a meeting in the city, has been notified of the event and expressed his condolences, according to CNN. Several state news agencies in Russia reported an additional undetonated device had been found in the Vosstanaya Square station, according to The Telegraph — although this has not yet been confirmed by police.

There is speculation that the attack could be the work of terrorists, but no group has taken responsibility as of yet. Putin — who was in St. Petersburg the day of the attack in order to meet with Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko — stated that the government is considering all possibilities, including a terrorist attack "Law enforcement agencies and intelligence services are doing their best to establish the cause and give a full picture of what happened," Putin said, according to the Associated Press.

At 2:45 p.m. local time in Russia, the prosecutor general referred to the incident as a terrorist attack, according to The Telegraph. The investigation is ongoing.

Surveillance footage from the metro station appears to show one of the suspects, according to Russia news media Interfax, and reported by Reuters. Interfax also reported that Russian security agencies had disarmed the additional undetonated device, which had been found after the initial blast had occurred, according to The Independent.