Which Bar-S Hot Dogs Have Been Recalled? Check Your Hot Dogs Before You Grill Them
Well, it looks like there might be some more bad news for avid barbeque fans out there: another recall was recently announced. This time around, it looks as though the culprit was summer's best friend, the hot dog and it's faithful cousin, the corn dog. The United States Department of Agriculture announced the latest recall due to listeria concerns, but which Bar-S hot dogs have actually been recalled?
According to the USDA, the Altus, Oklahoma-based Bar-S Foods has had to recall more than 372,000 pounds of hot dogs and corn dogs made earlier in the month. The company is recalling five of its pork and chicken products due to listeria concerns at its processing plant. While there have not been any reports of illness as of yet, and the company has yet to receive test results, it is taking the necessary precautions to protect consumers. The products were made between July 10 and July 13, and are being removed from shelves. In its official news release, the USDA shared which specific products were being recalled.
- 16-oz/1-lb. packages of “BAR-S Classic BUN LENGTH Franks MADE WITH CHICKEN, PORK ADDED” with “Use By” date of 10/11/2016 and case code 209.
- 12-oz. packages of “BAR-S CLASSIC Franks MADE WITH CHICKEN, PORK ADDED” with package code 6338, “Use By” date of 10/10/2016 and case code 6405.
- 24-oz./1.5-lb. cartons of “SIGNATURE Pick 5 CORNDOGS – 8 Honey Batter Dipped Franks On A Stick” with a “Use By” date of 4/6/2017 and case code 6071.
- 42.72-oz./2.67-lb. cartons of “BAR-S CLASSIC CORN DOGS – 16 Honey Batter Dipped Franks On A Stick” with “Use By” dates of 4/7/2017 and 4/8/2017 and case code 6396.
- 48-oz./3-lb. cartons of “BAR-S CLASSIC CORN DOGS – 16 Honey Batter Dipped Franks On A Stick” with package code 14054, “Use By” dates of 4/6/2017 and 4/9/2017, and case code 14038.
Listeria tends to affect pregnant women, older adults, newborns, and people with weakened immune systems. While it's not impossible for people outside these risk groups to be affected, it is much less likely. The USDA reported:
Hot dogs, corn dogs recalled due to possible listeria https://t.co/F088rqxqoi— Action News on 6abc (@6abc) July 20, 2016
Anyone who might have purchased these items is encouraged to either dispose of the products or return to the point of purchase for a refund. So check your freezers, everyone.