Ah, Christmas — the most wonderful time of the year. Everything seems softer, warmer, and more welcoming during the holidays, doesn't it? But, hey, no one would judge you if there's a hitch in your holiday spirit's giddyup this year. Thankfully though, there are plenty of Christmas quotes to get you in the holiday spirit. Sure, you might be in a bit of a bah-humbug funk right now, but there's no way the inherent magic of the holiday season won't sneak into your heart when you read some seriously festive and uplifting words.
Words have such an immutable power to move us. Whether their poignancy reminds us of how much goodness there is in the world or their lightness delivers us from whatever heaviness has us in its cross-hairs. The right quote at the right time can truly be the gift that keeps on giving, because it's one that opens itself up for you endlessly. Just jotting it down or making it the screen saver on your phone ensures you'll have just the pick-me-up you need when you need it most.
If you need that pick-me-up heading into the holidays, try one of the following festive quotes on for size to fill you with Christmas spirit.
1. "Mankind is a great, immense family. This is proved by what we feel in our hearts at Christmas." - Pope John XXIII
2. "Seeing is believing, but sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see." - 'The Polar Express'
3. "At Christmas, all roads lead home." - Marjorie Holmes
4. "A Christmas candle is a lovely thing; it makes no noise at all, but softly gives itself away." - Eva Logue
5. "What is Christmas? It is tenderness for the past, courage for the present, hope for the future. It is a fervent wish that every cup may overflow with blessings rich and eternal, and that every path may lead to peace." - Agnes M. Pharo
6. "I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year." - 'A Christmas Carol'
7. "Blessed is the season which engages the whole world in a conspiracy of love." - Hamilton Wright Mabie
8. "Christmas is not a time nor a season, but a state of mind. To cherish peace and goodwill, to be plenteous in mercy, is to have the real spirit of Christmas." - Calvin Coolidge
9. "Christmas is the day that holds all time together." - Alexander Smith
10. "The best way to spread Christmas cheer is singing loud for all to hear!" - 'Elf'
11. "Christmas is most truly Christmas when we celebrate it by giving the light of love to those who need it most." - Ruth Carter Stapleton
12. "I wish we could put up some of the Christmas spirit in jars and open a jar of it every month." - Harlan Miller
13. "The best of all gifts around any Christmas tree: the presence of a happy family all wrapped up in each other." - Burton Hills
14. "Christmas is not just a time for festivity and merry making. It is more than that. It is a time for the contemplation of eternal things. The Christmas spirit is a spirit of giving and forgiving." - J.C. Penney
15. "Christmas is the gentlest, loveliest festival of the revolving year, and yet, for all that, when it speaks, its voice has strong authority." - W.J. Cameron
16. "'Maybe Christmas,' he thought, 'doesn't come from a store. Maybe Christmas, perhaps, means a little bit more.'" - 'How the Grinch Stole Christmas'
17. "Christmas is a season for kindling the fire for hospitality in the hall, the genial flame of charity in the heart." - Washington Irving
18. "One of the most glorious messes in the world is the mess created in the living room on Christmas Day. Don't clean it up too quickly." - Andy Rooney
19. "It is Christmas in the heart that puts Christmas in the air." - W.T. Ellis
20. "Happy, happy Christmas, that can win us back to the delusions of our childhood days, recall to the old man the pleasures of his youth, and transport the traveler back to his own fireside and quiet home!" - Charles Dickens